Group Chief Legal Officer and Company Secretary
GROUP CHIEF LEGAL OFFICER AND COMPANY SECRETARY
1. Organization and scope
The Group CLO reports to the Chief Executive Officer (later refer to as “CEO”) while as Group Company Secretary, he or she reports to the Chairman of the Board of Directors (later refer to as “Board”). The CLO acts within the bpost Group delegations of power as approved by the Board. He or she leads a worldwide teams of experts based in bpost main locations (Brussels, King of Prussia, Amsterdam,..)
The CLO is responsible for all Legal & Compliance matters of the bpost group. He or she guides the CEO and the Board so that they can ensure notably that the entire organization acts within the applicable legal, compliance rules and regulations. He or she is the business partner, gatekeeper and trusted advisor to the CEO and the Board. He or she assists the group with the challenges posed by a tightening regulatory framework, increased oversight of authorities and the continuous rise in laws and regulations.
· Align his objectives with the strategic priorities and challenges of the CEO and the Board of Directors through demonstrating strategic leadership and ensuring fair process to accelerate the group’s long-term business plan.
· Develop a Legal and Compliance strategy aligned with bpost group business strategy to safeguard the future and the value of the company towards its stakeholders.
· Strive for operational excellence by implementing a qualitative reporting system to the Audit committee and the Group Executive Committee for Legal and Compliance risk management and the correct implementation.
· Implement a customer focused approach within the Legal and Compliance department to provide solutions aligned with the strategic needs of bpost group.
· Lead Legal & Compliance projects of the bpost group.
As Company Secretary:
· Guide the group through the legal and capital markets requirements for listed companies.
· Advise the bpost group on overall corporate governance as well as debt and equity transactions, capital markets matters in general, structure optimization, and subsidiary management.
· Oversee the documentation and implementation of Board decisions.
3. Key Responsibilities
· Create and implement an effective organization, vision and direction for the department.
· Steer the bpost group strategic plan process and contribute to defining the group’s strategic vision and long-term sustainable strategy and plan.
· Enable the business strategy of the group by offering compliant business solutions.
· Design and implement a legal risk, compliance and litigation strategy for the bpost group. Keep abreast of new laws and trends in regulations and advice on their potential impacts in a timely manner.
· Lead, motivate and develop a team of highly skilled experts and professionals.
· Manage and coordinate external counsel and consultants in the most optimal way.
· Ensure stakeholder management :
o Build and maintain relationships with the members of the Executive Committee and their teams to gain a clear understanding of their challenges and to advise them so that they can meet their strategic objectives.
o Act as an advisor to the members of the Group Executive Committee with regard to Legal & Compliance matters
o Meet with internal and external stakeholders regularly.
o Maintain relationships with the group's major stakeholders and in particular the Belgian and European authorities.
4. Educational background, must have experience & competencies
· Master law degree of a leading European university, combined with a law degree in North America.
· Relevant work experience as a CLO and Company Secretary of a stock listed company.
· Required experience for the position:
o Fifteen years of experience in a top-tier law firm and/or in-house counsel position.
o Broad functional experience with respect to legal, compliance, and governance relations:
§ Extensive knowledge and experience of Belgian, European and American legal & compliance systems.
§ Strong private sector legal practice and public sector experience.
§ Understanding of capital markets and the obligations of a stock-listed company.
§ Experience in highly regulated industries, including postal, transport, logistics, e-commerce, banking and capital markets.
§ In-debt experience in corporate governance and dealings with Boards.
o Proven track record as a chief legal officer and company secretary:
§ As a business partner, trusted advisor and gatekeeper of a listed company with international activities.
§ Demonstrated ability to successfully lead, attract and retain talent.
§ Demonstrated ability to support the strategic transformation of the company’s business model from a deliverer exclusively of paper mail to a company active in e-commerce logistics worldwide.
o Proven negotiation skills.
· Required competencies, skills, knowledge and abilities for the position:
o Ability to express both orally and in writing in English, Dutch and French.
o Positive mindset and “can do“ attitude, stress resistant, no nonsense style. Inspires confidence, fit with the group’s culture and its strategic objectives. Team player who puts the group’s interest clearly ahead of own and is respectful towards others. Curious, open to ideas and experience from different geographies or industries, keen to embrace changes and innovation.
o Drive - result oriented. Make wise decision.
o Empathy. Excellent influencing & communication skills (listening capabilities, respectful towards people).
o Courage - change management skills.
o Strategic orientation (analytical skills & facts-driven).
o Leadership skills.